How to Apply
If you are a resident of Miller County, Arkansas, or Bowie County, Texas, and wish to apply for a Single Parent Scholarship, read the eligibility guidelines and application instructions below to get started.
- Resident of Miller County, Arkansas, or Bowie County, Texas
- Single head of household (unmarried, divorced, or widowed). Those who are separated (by legal decree or otherwise) are not eligible for this scholarship.
- Have majority custody of a child (younger than age 18) and are designated as his/her primary caregiver
- Have low household income, at or near the poverty level, according to HHS Federal Poverty Guidelines
- Earned a high school diploma or GED
- Currently pursuing a career-oriented course of study during the semester for which this scholarship will be used. Your chosen program must be one that will allow you to earn a living wage and provide a better standard of living for your family.
- Must have and maintain a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA
- Applicants who have previously earned a bachelor's degree are not eligible for this scholarship, with the exception of those pursuing a Master of Arts in Teaching.
- Applied for a Pell Grant (FAFSA)
Video Tutorial: How to Apply
- Review the Eligibility Guidelines (above) and the list of Required Supporting Documents (below).
- Collect all required supporting documents. Scan or save them to your computer or to a portable drive in one of the following file formats: PDF, XLS (or XLSX), DOC (or DOCX), or RTF. Read the Tutorial: How to Scan & Upload Documents if you need help.
- Click the application link to apply each semester that you wish to be considered for a scholarship. If an application link isn't available, it means that applications are not currently being accepted. Please check back later. NOTE: You will not be able to apply without clicking the application link first.
- Login to your account. Contact the SPSF (above) if you don't remember your username or password. Create a new account if you don't have one.
- Complete your application. You can save your work and log back into your account at a later time if you cannot complete your application in one sitting. Be sure to proofread your application and upload all required supporting documents before you are ready to submit it. You cannot make changes to your application once it has been submitted.
- Submit your application. You will see a SUBMISSION SUCCESSFUL message on your screen if your application is submitted successfully. Contact the SPSF (above) if you need to alert us about missing or incorrect information on your application.
- Check the status of your application and update your personal profile by logging into your account.
DRAFT status means your application has not been submitted or received yet.
SUBMITTED means your application has been received and is awaiting further review.
UNDER REVIEW means the Selection Committee is reviewing your application.
AWARDED or DENIED indicates the Selection Committee’s final decision.
Required Supporting Documents
The following documents are required and must be submitted with your completed application form by the application deadline (above). Use the Upload Tool found in the Supporting Documents section of the application to attach the documents. Be sure to attach these documents to your application before you submit it.
A scanner is available at the following locations (bring your own USB drive to save your scanned documents)
- Ask your college library if they have a scanner available for you to use.
- Students enrolled at Texarkana College: TC Library Mac Lab (ask at the front desk)
- Texarkana Public Library: 600 W 3rd Street, Texarkana, Texas ($0.25 per page)
- Copy of your most recent federal tax return (first page only) required once per year. Not required if you are exempt from filing a tax return.
- Pell Grant (FAFSA) – copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR), or unofficial printout/statement from your school’s Financial Aid Office that states your approval or denial for financial aid and your award amount for the semester in which this scholarship will be used.
- Copy of one of the following (whichever is most recent): your high school transcript, GED certificate and test scores, or college transcript
- Proof of enrollment for the semester for which you are seeking a scholarship. Acceptable documents are a copy of your class schedule or an acceptance letter from your school(s) registrar.
- Release form - Download and complete the form (below). Submit a form with current signature and date once per year for each year this scholarship will be used.
New Applicants (Applicants who did not receive this scholarship last semester or who are applying for the first time)
- All items listed under All Applicants (above)
- Copy of your divorce decree (if divorced)
- Three (3) letters of recommendation by people who are familiar with your life experiences and character. Letters from your relatives will not be accepted.
- Personal Statement - Write a brief personal statement (one paragraph is acceptable) explaining your goals, why you chose your current course of study, and why you feel you are a good candidate to receive this scholarship. Include any other information about yourself that you believe would help the Selection Committee evaluate your application.
Your College - Your Career - Your Future
Help with Living Expenses